Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I put my w-2 and my husband's W-2 but turbotax says earned income is less than $6000

I am so confused !!! 

I am following every direction of turbo tax CD and we put both my husband's and my W-2s as well. 

We have 2 kids filing and we want to deduct their summer camp fees because they had to go there for us to go work. 

We did it just fine last year and this year we are having trouble. 

turbotax keeps saying  that our earned income is less than 6000 dollars so unless we are full time students or disabled, we cant claim that. 

is this some kind of error ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies

I put my w-2 and my husband's W-2 but turbotax says earned income is less than $6000

One thing make sure each W2 is entered for the right person.

We did check twice and we literary did whole thing again but still doesn't change anything :( 

on the W-2s, how much is in BOX 1 on EACH W-2? 

what is the EXACT expression TT is using when it states under '$6000' -  earned income or adjusted gross income or something else? 

I have the same issue.  Not sure what to do.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Make sure that the Forms W-2 are not both entered under one spouse only. This would give the other spouse no income.

Same issue here. I’m on the queue for customer service to call me back. If anyone else has figured out how to resolve this, please post answer here! Thank you!

This is not addressing the issue. Each spouse has wages entered from each spouse’s W-2. Obviously a software issue. NOT an issue with people entering income incorrectly. Very frustrating.

“Because you entered $6,000 or less of earned income for both SPOUSE1 and SPOUSE 2, we need to know if either of you were a full-time student or disabled, in order to calculate the maximum credit."

I talked to someone in customer service for 45 minutes while she looked for tax reason it wasn't working.  I kept telling her over and over it was a software issue.  She eventually told me I needed to talk to someone in technical services.  I was like "I know".  That was 3 hours ago and no one has called me back from technical services.

@tigerfan1 wrote:

I talked to someone in customer service for 45 minutes while she looked for tax reason it wasn't working.  I kept telling her over and over it was a software issue.  She eventually told me I needed to talk to someone in technical services.  I was like "I know".  That was 3 hours ago and no one has called me back from technical services.

Look at the W-2's that you entered.  Did you enter both W-2's as belonging to only one of you?  That would trigger the response in TurboTax that one of you earned less than $6,000.

I gave up and went to online turbo tax and paid extra 40 dollar to file tax and just did it.

I gave up.

I tried reinstall the CD and did it , gave up. 

For those who is keep telling I need to make sure put separate W2 for my spouse and i, I'm sorry i am not dumb. 

I've been doing this for years and years. 

If you do it online, it will work just fine. 

It is software issue and when I called them numerous time, they just constantly transferred me to "pay 99 dollar and get active helper" so nope. I'm done. I just paid extra 40 and re purchased program. 

I understand this.  It is not the issue

Stop telling the multiple customers who’ve reported this same issue to check their W-2 entry. We have all entered our W-2 info correctly. At this point it’s insulting and unhelpful.

are you experiencing this in the online version or the desktop version? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies