Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosielopz

I purchased a cd to do my taxes but I have a question. Can I claim the sales tax I paid on a vehicle I purchased on 2018??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I purchased a cd to do my taxes but I have a question. Can I claim the sales tax I paid on a vehicle I purchased on 2018??

It depends. You will only benefit by claiming it if your total itemized deductions on the Schedule A ( include the paid sales tax) exceed the standard deduction. With the new tax reform TCJA, Congress doubled the new standard deductions from the previous amount.  Therefore, it is harder for most of the taxpayers this year to take the itemized deductions. 

Follow these steps to enter info and the program will tell you if you are taking the itemized or standard deduction:

• Open up the program if you have not done so
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in sales tax then Enter 
  • Select Jump to sales tax, follow prompts
  • On screen, How do you want to enter your sales tax info? , select EasyGuide and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

It depends. You will only benefit by claiming it if your total itemized deductions on the Schedule A ( include the paid sales tax) exceed the standard deduction. With the new tax reform TCJA, Congress doubled the new standard deductions from the previous amount.  Therefore, it is harder for most of the taxpayers this year to take the itemized deductions. 

Follow these steps to enter info and the program will tell you if you are taking the itemized or standard deduction:

• Open up the program if you have not done so
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in sales tax then Enter 
  • Select Jump to sales tax, follow prompts
  • On screen, How do you want to enter your sales tax info? , select EasyGuide and follow the prompts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies