Solved: I purchased a cd to do my taxes but I have a question. Can I claim the sales tax I paid on a vehicle I purchased on 2018??

I purchased a cd to do my taxes but I have a question. Can I claim the sales tax I paid on a vehicle I purchased on 2018??

It depends. You will only benefit by claiming it if your total itemized deductions on the Schedule A ( include the paid sales tax) exceed the standard deduction. With the new tax reform TCJA, Congress doubled the new standard deductions from the previous amount.  Therefore, it is harder for most of the taxpayers this year to take the itemized deductions. 

Follow these steps to enter info and the program will tell you if you are taking the itemized or standard deduction:

• Open up the program if you have not done so
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in sales tax then Enter 
  • Select Jump to sales tax, follow prompts
  • On screen, How do you want to enter your sales tax info? , select EasyGuide and follow the prompts.