I pay my mother to watch my child. Does she have to claim the monies if I put her down for the child and dependent care credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

yes if you use her social security number

Carl

Yes she does. In order for you to get the dependent care credit you have to provide the SSN or EIN of the person or entity you paid to provide that care. Then the IRS will follow through to make sure the person you paid, reported that income on their tax return.

Hal_Al

If your mother watches the child, in her home (as opposed to your home), she will have to report the income as self employment income. This means she will have to pay social security and medicare tax (roughly 14%) in addition to income tax.