turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid off my condo with a personal loan, good rate, and now pay interest on that loan. Was I stupid or does this loan count as a mortgage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I paid off my condo with a personal loan, good rate, and now pay interest on that loan. Was I stupid or does this loan count as a mortgage?

A personal loan doesn't count as a mortgage because it's not secured by your condo.

Carl
Level 15

No, the interest is not deductible. In order for the interest to be deductible, the loan must be secured by the home. A personal loan isn't secured by anything. So interest on your personal loan is not deductible.

Whether it was stupid or not is a matter of perspective. If you didn’t pay enough interest to itemize your deductions, then the only question is did you get a better interest-rate. Even with itemized deductions, that amounts to a 20% or so subsidy of the interest-rate. So a 5% mortgage would have an effective rate of 4% after the deduction. If you got a better rate on the personal loan, then you’re still ahead.  Having a personal loan instead of a mortgage also means that you don’t have to escrow your property taxes, which might be of some advantage to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did your banker know that you were taking out a personal loan to pay off a mortgage?   if so, he/she did you a great disservice.     I'm surprised that you couldn't get a better rate on a mortgage (secured by real estate) than on an unsecured personal loan.     Can you refi the personal loan with a mortgage and thus make the interest deductible? don't think so. for the interest to be qualified residence interest (deductible as mortgage interest) the loan must acquisition debt - debt incurred to acquire, construct or substantially improve your main or second home.  paying off a personal home. paying off a personal loan would not be acquisition debt.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies