raardvark

I only want to deduct a portion of my charitable contributions, giving me a carryover for next year. How do I do this?

I only want to deduct a portion of my charitable contributions, giving me a carryover for next year.  This will lower my tax bracket and save some of the deduction for next year. TTax is deducting all of the contribution since it's within IRS limits. How can I lower the amount deducted and create a carryover?

You can only deduct contributions in the year made.  The carryover provision exists for when you have contributions are so large they exceed the deduction limits, but you must list all your 2020 contributions on your 2020 tax return and then see if you are eligible for a carryover or if you deduct them all at once.

You can't voluntarily deduct contributions in a different year than you made them. 

Bsch4477

You can carry over your contributions that you are not able to deduct in the current tax year because they exceed your adjusted-gross-income limit.   You have no carry over if you have not exceeded that limit. 

If your donations are within the 2020 limits based on your 2020 AGI, you cannot carry the charitable donations over to next year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf