ymdunlea

I only get $.34/mile from work. How can I claim the full amount for my work miles?

DS30

Yes you will be able to claim the difference between what you employer reimbursed you per mile and the allowable IRS mileage rate of 54 cents/mile for the 2016 calendar year.

If you have any deductible business mileages as an employee, you can report your business miles as an employee under job-related expenses. In order to claim business miles as an employee, you will need to itemize your deductions. NOTE: Job-related expenses are not fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule. If your standard deduction is greater than your combined itemized deductions, then TurboTax is recommend the standard deduction.

You would enter your unreimbursed employment expenses in TurboTax (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2015 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here. List as "additional unreimbursed business miles"

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

DS30