I need to know how how to claim office space for me and my wife.

rmcpropainting

I am a self employed sole proprietor painter and my wife is a self employed customer service representative. ( we both get paid by 1099) We rent our home. We pay $1,100 a month for our home. We use our sun-room as an office and for no other purpose. (My wife does her customer service work in there and she also does accounting for me) My issue is I don't know how to calculate the deduction. We don't own the home so not sure the total square feet. Also, would she claim the office since she is doing her work and my accounting, or do we split it? Also, another issue I am trying to figure out is how to claim the internet we pay for business use. She uses the internet for her working from home but we also use the internet for our cellphones, computers and electronics, a lot of times these things are happening simultaneously. Once again, how do we break this down? Any help would be appreciated. This year she is looking at buying a new computer also. She uses her computer for about 99% business but she does do some web-surfing. Will she be able to deduct the full cost, looking at spending around $1,500-$1,800.

CherylW

I'm assuming you both file separate Schedule Cs.

There's an option (see below screenshot) that allows you to choose that you share your office.

Answer the questions until you get to the size.  You'll need the size of your home and office, estimates are okay.

As long as you're both using it to produce income, then you can both take the deduction on your own Schedule Cs.

As far as your internet expenses, you'll have to estimate the percentage of business usage.

She will be able to deduct the cost of her new computer.  The 99% usage is close enough to 100% to depreciate the entire cost (or Section 179, it depends on what your income forecast is for next year).