Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help Charitable contributions if you take thestandard deduction

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What help do you need? This is a message forum, not live chat. You have to post all the details of your question and wait for someone to respond.

There is a bug in the handling of the deduction for charitable contributions when you take the standard deduction. To avoid the bug, enter the contribution in the Donations to Charity topic under Deductions & Credits, as if you were entering itemized deductions. Then click Done with Donations and proceed through the screens until you get to the screen that tells you that TurboTax has added in the contribution.

If that doesn't solve your problem, reply to this post with the details of your problem.

phildaily

I entered contributions as if itemizing deductions and the entry did not show up on line 10b of 1040.  What do I do to make this work?  It is hard to believe that this does not function or no guidance!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@phildaily  This bug has been fixed. You can now enter the contribution after the screen that says you are getting the standard deduction, and it will not be flagged as an error. If you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software, make sure you have the most recent update.

If you enter the contribution as an itemized deduction, you have to click "Done with Deductions" and proceed through the screens in sequence until you get to the screen about the $300 deduction, then click Continue on that screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies