whizzkid889

I moved in July 2017 to a new job which began in August 2017. Do I qualify for the moving expense deduction for this year or will I file it in 2018?

I have not yet reached the 39-week minimum but will under my current job title. So if not this year, can I still file for the moving expenses in 2018 for a move that occured in 2017 once I reach the time requirement?

MichaelL1

You file it for the year of the move and when the expenses were paid.  So while you have not meet the requirements you claim it on the 2017 return.

If you do not meet the requirement test in 2018, then you will file an amended 2017 to remove the moving expense. 

MichaelL1