turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nuuk-gal

I moved for a new job in January of 2017, but have moving expense in December 2016. Can I report any expenses in 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved for a new job in January of 2017, but have moving expense in December 2016. Can I report any expenses in 2016?

You report the moving expenses when you pay them, assuming it is a qualified move.  (New job more than 50 miles from your old home, job will last longer than 39 weeks).  Expenses are deductible when paid up to one year before to one year after the start date at the new job. 

If the move later becomes non-qualifying (you quit or are fired and move back before the minimum time) you will make an adjustment on next year's tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You report the moving expenses when you pay them, assuming it is a qualified move.  (New job more than 50 miles from your old home, job will last longer than 39 weeks).  Expenses are deductible when paid up to one year before to one year after the start date at the new job. 

If the move later becomes non-qualifying (you quit or are fired and move back before the minimum time) you will make an adjustment on next year's tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies