allison-hall1979

I made energy efficient improvements to my home in 2019. Can I get any credit for that at a federal or state level?

RobertG

To qualify for the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit you may claim the following types of energy-saving improvements:

• Solar water heating costs
  • Solar electric costs
  • Fuel cell property costs
  • Small wind energy property costs
  • Geothermal heat pump property costs

This federal credit doesn't let you claim Energy Star appliances, low-flow showerheads, or low-flush toilets, but some states offer rebates or incentives for these types of energy improvements.

To claim energy credits, type 'energy credits' in the TurboTax search box then 'jump to energy credit'

As you are filling out your State return you will be asked about State energy credits if they are available.

RobertG

• Solar water heating costs
  • Solar electric costs
  • Fuel cell property costs
  • Small wind energy property costs
  • Geothermal heat pump property costs