• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jgandarilla0605

I made $42,000 in 2017 and my filing status is single. I have one child. Will I qualify for the child tax credit?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SweetieJean
Level 15

I made $42,000 in 2017 and my filing status is single. I have one child. Will I qualify for the child tax credit?

In 2017, the phase out threshold is $55,000 for married couples filing separately; $75,000 for single, head of household, and qualifying widow or widower filers; and $110,000 for married couples filing jointly. For each $1,000 of income above the threshold, your available child tax credit is reduced by $50.

But why aren't you filing Head of Household?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SweetieJean
Level 15

In 2017, the phase out threshold is $55,000 for married couples filing separately; $75,000 for single, head of household, and qualifying widow or widower filers; and $110,000 for married couples filing jointly. For each $1,000 of income above the threshold, your available child tax credit is reduced by $50.

But why aren't you filing Head of Household?

SweetieJean
Level 15

However, your income is too high for EIC :
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/eitc-income-limits-maxim...>
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v