pkmorris

I’m surgical nurse and I take call. Can I claim mileage expenses for call back in to work that isn’t my regular shift?

georgesT

Yes, you can claim your work related mileages if it is for a job for which you work as an "employee" receiving a W-2, and they are not reimbursed to you.

You cannot deduct commuting mileages(driving from home to your principal place of work and vice versa)

They go on Schedule A Itemized Deductions in the Misc section subject to a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold.  If you don't itemize, then deducting them may not benefit you.  

See the below answer to FAQ on where to report job related expenses.

georgesT

Carl

No. You can not claim the mileage just because it was not your regular shift. It was still commuting miles from your residence, to your primary place of employment. So it's not deductible.