• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkmorris

I’m surgical nurse and I take call. Can I claim mileage expenses for call back in to work that isn’t my regular shift?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
georgesT

I’m surgical nurse and I take call. Can I claim mileage expenses for call back in to work that isn’t my regular shift?

Yes, you can claim your work related mileages if it is for a job for which you work as an "employee" receiving a W-2, and they are not reimbursed to you.

You cannot deduct commuting mileages(driving from home to your principal place of work and vice versa)

They go on Schedule A Itemized Deductions in the Misc section subject to a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold.  If you don't itemize, then deducting them may not benefit you.  

See the below answer to FAQ on where to report job related expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

View solution in original post

2 Replies
georgesT

Yes, you can claim your work related mileages if it is for a job for which you work as an "employee" receiving a W-2, and they are not reimbursed to you.

You cannot deduct commuting mileages(driving from home to your principal place of work and vice versa)

They go on Schedule A Itemized Deductions in the Misc section subject to a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold.  If you don't itemize, then deducting them may not benefit you.  

See the below answer to FAQ on where to report job related expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

View solution in original post

Carl
Level 15

No. You can not claim the mileage just because it was not your regular shift. It was still commuting miles from your residence, to your primary place of employment. So it's not deductible.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v