Meghan5k

I'm self-employed. My mileage is partially reimbursed by an agency. How can I use TT Home & Business to deduct the diff between my .47 cpm and the standard mileage rate?

I am self-employed, contracted through an agency that reimburses my mileage at .47 per mile.  How can I use turbotax home & business to deduct the difference between the standard mileage rate of 53.5 cents per mile and the amount I have been reimbursed?  That amount was not included on my 1099.  I have seen this question answered for employees, but not for how to enter this into turbotax home & business for self-employed users.  Thanks!

CaronM

Hey there. So you'd actually it the same way, but you'd choose to link the vehicle expenses to your Sch C instead of to Sch A like an employee does.

Meghan5k

Thanks for responding.  I know it will go on my schedule C, I just haven't been able to figure out how to answer the turbo tax questions to make that happen.  I am using home & business.  In the business vehicle expenses section I am prompted to enter "miles driven for business."  Would I put the full actual mileage number there (for which I was already reimbursed), and then put the reimbursement amount somewhere in business income?
BarbL

The simplest solution is to claim the reimbursement as income, then take the full 53.5 cents per mile deduction.
Meghan5k

Okay, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure that was a legit way to do it.  I appreciate your help!
BarbL

The end result is the same, so perfectly acceptable!