turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm confused about my HSA 1099-SA... according to my W2, my employer contributed 1000.24 to my HSA. As of 12/30, the balance on my HSA was $0. but im told to withdraw??

My employer told me if I didn't show a $0 balance, I'd lose whatever funds I didn't use. So I made sure to use the last of the balance. Not sure how to proceed with entering this info bc Turbo is telling me there is a $1000.24 excess contribution and to withdraw it but it's already withdrawn???
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm confused about my HSA 1099-SA... according to my W2, my employer contributed 1000.24 to my HSA. As of 12/30, the balance on my HSA was $0. but im told to withdraw??

First, your employer is confusing HSA with FSA. HSA may carry a balance into the next year without losing it.

The 1099-SA form shows the total amount withdrawn (distributed from your account) for the year. This form has nothing to do with the contributions made to the account. This is a tax free distribution provided you answer that the full amount was used to pay qualified medical expenses. 

Since your contributions were through your employer, the contributed amount should be on your W2 form listed in box 12 with code W.  This amount on your W2 is automatically recorded as your employer contribution. There is no need to enter any other contributions unless you made additional contribution outside of employment. As long as you had the proper HDHP medical insurance, the contributions are exempt from income and FICA taxes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

First, your employer is confusing HSA with FSA. HSA may carry a balance into the next year without losing it.

The 1099-SA form shows the total amount withdrawn (distributed from your account) for the year. This form has nothing to do with the contributions made to the account. This is a tax free distribution provided you answer that the full amount was used to pay qualified medical expenses. 

Since your contributions were through your employer, the contributed amount should be on your W2 form listed in box 12 with code W.  This amount on your W2 is automatically recorded as your employer contribution. There is no need to enter any other contributions unless you made additional contribution outside of employment. As long as you had the proper HDHP medical insurance, the contributions are exempt from income and FICA taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies