I'm an international student working using F1 OPT visa. I came to school 2013, Graduated May 2017. I have been on opt from June 2017 to present. What forms would I file?

alisonzhang1221

JohnW15

For tax year 2017, you would need to file a Form 1040 and report your worldwide income. 

As an F-visa holder, you’re considered a nonresident for the years 2013-2016.  If, beginning on January 1st, 2017, you meet the Substantial Presence Test, or you’ve lived in the United States from January 1st, 2017 until the present, you’re considered a United States resident for tax purposes.  

alisonzhang1221

Hi John, Thanks for the response.
I was reading other questions, did IRS changed their policy after 2017, I thought that I have to be counting 5 years and then be considered as resident alien.
JohnW15

My answer made this simpler than it actually is.  The text at the top of the Substantial Presence Test link that I included above actually lays out the answer much better than I did. It uses a calculation that looks at both the current year, and the three-year period that includes the current year and the two previous years.   Please accept my apologies.