ElmerSmith

I'm a child care provider and TT won't let me count rooms used regularly, not exclusively, for my business. TT assumes rooms can only be exclusively used. What do I do?

This is one of those times you need to READ the info in the link ...  

2. If you use part of your home for daycare, as long as you have either applied for, been granted, or are exempt from having a license, certification, registration, or approval as a daycare center under state law.

ElmerSmith

Wrong! I don't see any way to calculate the business use of home as a day care provider who uses rooms regularly, not exclusively. TT only allows using rooms exclusively for business. In earlier years TT allowed users to identify themselves as day care providers and did allow them to track regular use rooms. Why the change this year?

After you pass this screen you will come to the one that asks for the square footage used for the business and the whole house ... at no time does the IRS ask for rooms used ... the OIH is based on sq footage.

And  you can count the entire home  for the daycare business ... unless you lock certain rooms in the home to permanently exclude them from being accessed by the children.
ElmerSmith

You don't understand! Ok, we're talking square footage rather than rooms, but my point remains the same. On the screen entitled "How Big is This Home Office?" TT only allows me to enter the number of square feet I use exclusively for my business. But, I'm not using any square feet exclusively. If I enter all the square feet as exclusive use, my business use % is 100%, but that's wrong. How can I enter regular use square footage? I previous years TT asked questions about how much time I was using my home for business, but I don't see that anywhere. Daycare has special rules about calculating the business use of home, but TT doesn't seem to recognize this, as it did in previous years. Did I miss this somewhere?

This is the screen I see ... do you not also get this screen ?  

If you don't then contact TT support on Monday for guidance ...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

TaxGuyBill

I think you missed the question asking if your business is a Daycare (see first picture).  Go back through the Home Office interview and look for that.

Good catch Bill.
TaxGuyBill

By the way, the proper "Business Code" is 624410.  It is POSSIBLE that if you enter a completely wrong code, it MIGHT have skipped that question.
ElmerSmith

That's it! Thanks so much for helping me with this!