I lost all of the $25000 I invested in a restaurant. Entered my K-1 info each year and didn't see any impact of this loss on my taxes. Why not?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost all of the $25000 I invested in a restaurant. Entered my K-1 info each year and didn't see any impact of this loss on my taxes. Why not?

As a limited partner/investor in a restaurant, I was issued a K-1 every year for five years, and each year reported a loss.  The restaurant finally closed this summer, and my entire $25,000 was a loss.  Isn't this something that I can write off on my taxes?  There seems to be no repercussion via TurboTax.  I know that when my dad lost a similar amount in the stock market (on Motorola!), he was able to take a $3000 deduction every year until the loss amount was used up.  Please advise! 

1 Reply
Level 15

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2899549-how-do-i-deduct-worthless-stock

If you have no gains to offset with the $25K loss, you will be able to deduct only $3000 and carry the $22K forward to next year

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings