lonmccollum

I lived, worked, and paid taxes overseas for 2016. Can the foreign earned income exclusion (form 2555) be used for state (Michigan) and local (Lansing) income taxes?

I worked overseas as a teacher for all of 2016 and am claiming the foreign earned income exclusion for the money earned there.  I own a house in Lansing, Michigan, and my wife lived there for 7 months of the year. She has no earned income.  I have some self-employment income from Michigan earned during summer vacation from school.  My question is: does the foreign income exclusion also apply to my state of Michigan taxes? And how about the city of Lansing income tax? Am I required to file in both Michigan and Lansing?  Thanks!!