Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

banner-1

I lived in my home 32 years and sold it last December. After sale and paying mortgage balance, I netted less than $250,000. Do I need to report the sale on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I lived in my home 32 years and sold it last December. After sale and paying mortgage balance, I netted less than $250,000. Do I need to report the sale on my taxes?

According to IRS Publication 523 at this link, you need to report the gain if any of the following is true.

• You have taxable gain on your home sale (or on the residential portion of your property if you made separate calculations for home and business) and don’t qualify to exclude all of the gain.

• You received a Form 1099-S. If so, you must report the sale even if you have no taxable gain to report.

• You wish to report your gain as a taxable gain even though some or all of it is eligible for exclusion. You may wish to do this if, for example, you plan to sell another main home within the next 2 years and are likely to receive a larger gain from the sale of that property. If you choose to report, rather than exclude, your taxable gain, you can undo that choice by filing an amended return within 3 years of the due date of your return for the year of the sale, excluding extensions.

If none of the three bullets above is true, you don’t need to report your home sale on your tax return.

Also, consider these things:

• The gain is the difference between your proceeds and what you have "invested" in the house.  What you have invested is known as "cost basis" and that may be more or less than your mortgage balance. 
  • If you used your home for business or rental, the depreciation you took on the home is deducted from your "cost basis" when you calculate the gain.  And, the portion of the gain equal to that depreciation is taxed as ordinary income in the year you sell.  There are worksheets in Publication 523 if you need to calculate this.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies