tjaunt23

I live in VA, but I own a plot of land in WI in which I pay real estate taxes. Should the refund come from WI? It is increasing my VA Refund, but this seems wrong.

The property is not rented and was not sold, so I know I am entitled to a refund, but want to ensure it comes from the correct state.

DavidD66

Unless you have income from Wisconsin or sold the property, you do not need to file a Wisconsin tax return.  Since you're not paying Wisconsin income tax, you won't get a WI income tax refund.  The property tax is deductible for federal tax purposes, and that will carry over to your Virginia tax return and reduce your VA tax.  

DavidD66

tjaunt23

Thank you so much! Appreciate such a quick response!