Solved: I live in Canada my mom who is canadian also passed away and I inherited 9000$ where or how do I report it ?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in Canada my mom who is canadian also passed away and I inherited 9000$ where or how do I report it ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 2

I live in Canada my mom who is canadian also passed away and I inherited 9000$ where or how do I report it ?

If you are a US citizen or resident, inherited cash from a foreign person like your mother is not taxable on your federal return. The IRS doesn't impose an inheritance tax.  As far as the requirement for any Canadian tax, you would need to contact their tax authorization or TurboTaxCanada.

As far as states, only a handful of states (Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) have some kind of inheritance tax. Refer to your state's Department of Revenue to see what the requirements are for filing inheritance tax.  Please note that any Interest or other income generated from inherited cash would be taxable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 2

If you are a US citizen or resident, inherited cash from a foreign person like your mother is not taxable on your federal return. The IRS doesn't impose an inheritance tax.  As far as the requirement for any Canadian tax, you would need to contact their tax authorization or TurboTaxCanada.

As far as states, only a handful of states (Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) have some kind of inheritance tax. Refer to your state's Department of Revenue to see what the requirements are for filing inheritance tax.  Please note that any Interest or other income generated from inherited cash would be taxable.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings