raminmichaels

I just claimed my father as a dependent who has parkinsons disease and is disabled. Is there refund I could receive for paying for his expenses other than home care.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2017—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

MEDICAL EXPENSES

If your dad had less than $4050 in income --excluding  Social Security-- then he can be your dependent and you get the personal exemption of $4050 which lowers the amount you are taxed on.  You can enter any medical expenses you have paid out of pocket for him under medial expenses.  If you are paying for care for him in order for you to go to work, then you can enter that in the area for the child and dependent care credit.  

raminmichaels

I added all the medical expenses but, it doesn't show on the top left that I got any refund for it.

See below