It depends on your state, some states require you to itemize on the state tax return as well if you itemize on your federal return.
What state are you living in?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Please follow these instructions to edit/review your state return:
You can edit state taxes by following these steps below:
- Login to your TurboTax account.
- In the Welcome Home box, click on the My TurboTax tab at the top and then My Tax Timeline
- In the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state. (This will get you to the State tab where your state return is)
- Click on the State Taxes tab.
- Click Continue to edit and/or complete your state taxes.
Many – but not all – states let you take a different deduction than what you took on the federal. For example, Arizona lets you itemize even if you took the federal standard deduction.
There is no one-size-fits-all set of instructions for how to change your state deduction, so it's best to walk through your state tax program from the beginning. Look for a screen that asks which deduction you want to take, assuming your state gives you that option. The exact placement of this screen varies by state program, but most likely you'll find it at the beginning of the interview or just before you get to the deductions section.