turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

karpeam

I itemized my federal, but it looks like my state is less than the standard deduction of $24,800. How do I update the state to the standard deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

I itemized my federal, but it looks like my state is less than the standard deduction of $24,800. How do I update the state to the standard deduction?

It depends on your state, some states require you to itemize on the state tax return as well if you itemize on your federal return. 

What state are you living in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
karpeam

Minnesota

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Please follow these instructions to edit/review your state return:

You can edit state taxes by following these steps below:

1. Login to your TurboTax account.
  2. In the Welcome Home box, click on the My TurboTax tab at the top and then My Tax Timeline
  3. In the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state. (This will get you to the State tab where your state return is)
  4. Click on the State Taxes tab.
  5. Click Continue to edit and/or complete your state taxes.

Many – but not all – states let you take a different deduction than what you took on the federal. For example, Arizona lets you itemize even if you took the federal standard deduction.

There is no one-size-fits-all set of instructions for how to change your state deduction, so it's best to walk through your state tax program from the beginning. Look for a screen that asks which deduction you want to take, assuming your state gives you that option. The exact placement of this screen varies by state program, but most likely you'll find it at the beginning of the interview or just before you get to the deductions section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies