I installed solar panels in 2020 but when I put th...

anniezar1

I installed solar panels in 2020 but when I put the info in it says that it can't get me home energy credit in 2020 but it is carried over to 2021, why?

Have you finished entering in all your income yet ???    Until you have a tax liability for the credit to negate it will be carried forward.  

You don’t get the credit if you don’t owe tax. If you have not finished entering your income, such as because you have not received your W-2 yet, then you don’t owe any tax right now. When you finish updating all of your financial information, the credit will re-calculate.