turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andrii16

Why my home mortgage info is shown in line 10 of Schedule A while I do not have form 1098?

This is mortgage interest paid to foreign bank institution - is it Ok that the amount is shown in line 10?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Why my home mortgage info is shown in line 10 of Schedule A while I do not have form 1098?

Yes it is OK to show your foreign mortgage interest on line 10. Just be aware that if the IRS tries to match up your information with what the IRS has collected from the bank and there is no Form 1098, it may cause the IRS to question this interest deduction. If you are contacted by the IRS, you will just need to provide an explanation of your situation (that your mortgage interest is from a foreign bank and provide the IRS with the details of this loan).

[edited 1/19/2017]

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

Yes it is OK to show your foreign mortgage interest on line 10. Just be aware that if the IRS tries to match up your information with what the IRS has collected from the bank and there is no Form 1098, it may cause the IRS to question this interest deduction. If you are contacted by the IRS, you will just need to provide an explanation of your situation (that your mortgage interest is from a foreign bank and provide the IRS with the details of this loan).

[edited 1/19/2017]

andrii16

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I do not have "I did not receive a 1098" option in step 7. Instead I have different set of questions:

Do any of these uncommon situations apply to your loan with OTP Bank Ukraine?

I co-own this loan with someone and only pay a portion of it.
The seller is financing this loan and I didn't receive a 1098.
None of these apply.
DS30

I have updated my answer related to your situation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies