I have two 1098s for a home loan; one was for the ...

I have two 1098s for a home loan; one was for the original loan, and the other was for a refinancing that original loan. Both have an outstanding mortgage principal box2

in Box 2 on both 1098 (one for the original loan and the second as a refi to the first one -- all originated in 2019), do I report both Box 2 from both lenders?  Turbotax seems to double count that and upon entering the amount in box 2 of my second 1098, my CA tax liability went up

On the refinanced mortgage Box 2 is asking for the amount of the outstanding balance of the loan as on 01/01/2019.  Since the loan did not start until after that the date the amount in Box 2 for the refinanced mortgage should be $0.  Once you change that information and have it flow to California it will correct your issue.

Did this resolve your issue? I am having the same problem. 

Please be sure to select "this loan was sold or paid off in 2019" for the first 1098 (the original loan) 

Please enter that 1098 first.