Bob5779

I have out of pocket charitable expenses. I understand that they are deductible. Are they a “money” donation to the charity, or a donation of “items” or something else?

Zbucklyo

We can't answer your question without more details - what exactly are the "out-of-pocket" expenses?
Bob5779

Not sure why you need to know that since the non-profit organization has advised that the expenses are deductible.  I’m just trying to figure out how to enter them in TurboTax. Suppose  I purchase materials or a tool that I use exclusively to repair a house on a Habitat for Humanity volunteer day?  No travel involved. Not contributing the item to Habitat.  Perhaps I enter the cost of the materials as a cash donation to the charity?
Bob5779

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Perhaps your tax advice will help others.  Sounds like I just enter the cash value of the items as a cash donation.  I remember having a separate spot to enter deductible out of pocket expenses, but that will work I guess.
Anita01

If you use up the materials you purchase, you can deduct them and cash is fine.  For a tool or piece of equipment you purchase, though, you cannot take a deduction for the cost unless you donate it to the nonprofit.  For example, if you purchase a camera and use it to take pictures for a nonprofit web site, you can deduct the film you used but, if you keep the camera for yourself, there's mo deduction for it.  In short, using a piece of personal property for a nonprofit does not make the purchase of that item deductible if you retain ownership.

Nonproftis are not the best source of tax information other than whether they qualify as a registered 501(c)(3) that can accept tax deductible contributions