Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxpayers
Returning Member

I have more than four deductions for my job but why can't seem to add them without duplicating my entries?

There are only four entries per taxpayer and the program requires you to add more deductions in a separate page.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have more than four deductions for my job but why can't seem to add them without duplicating my entries?

Are you self-employed or do you get a W-2?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are these employee job expenses (W-2 related) and for "other expenses" are there only 4 lines showing?  If so, we can tell you a workaround.

Taxpayers
Returning Member

I get a W-2.  Just found out about a work around for the online version.  Enter multiple on one line.

Yes, that will work. Like this:

Description                                              Total

Expense A  $35;  Expense B $ 62            $97

For some reason the online version only has 4 lines, but the desktop version allows one to keep adding more lines.

I get a W-2.

Sorry, but under the new tax law, you cannot deduct these expenses for Federal for 2018.  State may be different.

See the above discussion on how you can enter more than 4 "other expenses" (employee job expenses) in the Online version.  For some reason the online version only has 4 lines, but the desktop version allows one to keep adding more lines.

The workaround is to combine expenses on a line and then enter the total, as in the example in the comments above.

While there are no longer employee job expenses deduction on a Federal Schedule A, there are a few states which may still allow such expenses subject to the 2% rule on the state return to potentially increase itemized deductions on the state return.  If you are in one of those states, then filling out that section in the Federal interview (Form 2106) should still flow to a Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions Worksheet that the state return may still be able to use for such expenses while the Federal return will ignore it. And also any of the other miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to 2% for which you can find entry.    Here are some known states we were made aware of from TurboTax.  I don't know if there are others or not.

Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota and New York

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies