casheikkila

I have insurance through my employer, I pay some as well. can I use what I paid for towards the medical bills

can I put my insurance costs that I paid, towards medical bills?

MinhT

Yes, you can claim all health and dental insurance premiums you paid together with your medical expenses as Medical Expenses.

Medical Expenses are subject to the 7.5% rule and you can only claim the excess over 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

Please note that Itemized Deductions will only "help" when they exceed your standard deduction.

For 2017, standard deductions are:

For a taxpayer under 65, not claimed as a dependent

• $6,350 for Single
  • $12,700 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child
  • $9,350 for Head of Household
  • $6,350 for Married Filing Separately
  • If you are over 65 or blind, add $1,250 for each instance or add $1,550 each instance if single and not a surviving spouse

In TurboTax, you can enter Medical expenses by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Medical and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Medical Expenses.