howard-natasha

I have been living abroad for the last two years, I have not been paid in US currency or by a US institution. How can I file/get my taxes up to date?

I have not filed my taxes while living abroad because I have not been earning USD. However, It has come to my attention that I need to take care of this and catch up with my taxes. I am currently abroad and want to file my taxes for 2016 correctly, but I am not sure how to do so. 

TomD8

Simply do a currency conversion.  You must express the amounts you report on your US tax return in U.S. dollars.  This IRS reference has a conversion table for foreign currencies, although it has not yet been updated for 2016: 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/yearly-average-currency-exchange-rates

Note in the reference that the IRS has no official exchange rate; it accepts "any posted exchange rate that is used consistently."

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8