turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an office. Can I deduct bottled water and snacks for eating in the office?

I am self-employed. This is NOT a home office. Others rarely come to the office, but I stock it with bottled water (there is no water to the building) and snacks. Are these a deductible business expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have an office. Can I deduct bottled water and snacks for eating in the office?

Meals and entertainment that are directly related to your business are deductible.  Generally this would mean meeting with clients, or snacks that you provide for customers.  (My auto dealership service waiting room is stocked with pop and granola bars, for example).  There has to be a direct relationship between the expense and your business income or expectation of future income.

However, food you eat yourself I would interpret as personal expense that is not deductible unless you are traveling away from home on business.

See IRS publication 463.  The distinction is between "meals" (food you consume yourself) and "entertainment" (which can include food you provide to customers, including when you share a meal as part of landing a client, but not including personal food.)

View solution in original post

15 Replies

You have an office where there is no water?  Is that even legal? (and please keep your related question  in one thread).

whos eating and drinking the water and snacks if you rarely have anyone come by?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

@SweetieJean In my office building the only water is in the bathrooms, or the hose in the courtyard....not too uncommon around here.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

What is the relationship between having the water and snacks and the production of income from your business?

Thank you. I am starting to figure this out. When a client or other work related person comes to my office for an appointment, I can deduct refreshments offered to this person. Otherwise, I would not.
However, if there is no water in the office, and it looks like a water utility bill is a legitimate deductible expense, then drinking water for the office should also be deductible, even if I am the only one there? Comments appreciated.

Many people drink tap water.

I may not be understanding the distinction you are trying to make...

Since water is a basic utility, you can deduct your water service, used for cleaning and flushing the toilet, and you don't have to reduce it by an allowance for water that you drink, nor do you have to reduce your electric bill by the amount of electricity used by your coffee maker.  But you can't deduct personal food and beverage expenses just because they are consumed at the office.  The IRS is clear that (a percentage of) meals and similar expenses are deductible as "entertainment" when directly connected to making money, and you can deduct a percentage of meals when you travel out of town to make money, but your living expenses (food, commuting, etc) when working at your regular place of work are not deductible.  Everyone has living expenses and the IRS is clear that only those expenses that are uniquely tied to earning a living may be deductible.  Makeup is not deductible unless you are a clown or an actor, even though you may be expected to look presentable at work.  Clothing is not deductible, even though you need to look professional at work, unless it is in the nature of a uniform that can't be worn for any other purpose.  And so on.

There may be times where a large company provides snacks or free lunches on work property to the employees as a perk, and I don't honestly know if that is deductible or not.  (If so, maybe on the grounds of maintaining employee productivity and morale.)  But I don't see any way to make that work legitimately as a sole proprietor.  There are too many rules and tax court rulings that go the other way.  Any productivity gain that could be made by you eating at work would be the same if you brought your lunch from home and that makes it a non-deductible personal living expense.

Excellent explanation.

Meals and entertainment that are directly related to your business are deductible.  Generally this would mean meeting with clients, or snacks that you provide for customers.  (My auto dealership service waiting room is stocked with pop and granola bars, for example).  There has to be a direct relationship between the expense and your business income or expectation of future income.

However, food you eat yourself I would interpret as personal expense that is not deductible unless you are traveling away from home on business.

See IRS publication 463.  The distinction is between "meals" (food you consume yourself) and "entertainment" (which can include food you provide to customers, including when you share a meal as part of landing a client, but not including personal food.)

OP asked an earlier Q re per diem meals.
jame

in turbo tax it clearly states office snacks are deductible

jame

it clearly states in turbo tax that office snacks are deductible.  why are you telling people wrong stories

@jame   Office snacks for others (such as clients or employees) may be deductible.  Food for yourself is not.

@jame wrote:

in turbo tax it clearly states office snacks are deductible

Read IRS publication 463.  There is a difference between food provided for clients or customers as a "ordinary and necessary" business expense, and personal food.  Personal food is never deductible.  I don't believe Turbotax says that personal food is deductible, but if it does, it's wrong. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies