turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a total barn loss, asking for cost basis, but it came on the property with house and multiple buildings. Can I use the appraisal for cost basis. States replacement cost is $60,000, less depreciation . This makes it worth 27,768.00 Insurance paid $

This is a 40ft by 50ft storage barn that was taken down by straight line wind storm. Thanks- Vickie
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have a total barn loss, asking for cost basis, but it came on the property with house and multiple buildings. Can I use the appraisal for cost basis. States replacement cost is $60,000, less depreciation . This makes it worth 27,768.00 Insurance paid $

For cost basis, you use your best estimate of the portion of your original purchase price of the property that should be allocated to the barn.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

For cost basis, you use your best estimate of the portion of your original purchase price of the property that should be allocated to the barn.

Thank you Hal
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies