• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sat000

I have a new employer and plan to utilize COBRA for the next 15 months due to the costs. Can I still contribute to my HSA during this time or should I max b4 I leave?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

I have a new employer and plan to utilize COBRA for the next 15 months due to the costs. Can I still contribute to my HSA during this time or should I max b4 I leave?

Assuming the COBRA insurance qualifies to contribute to an HSA, you can contribute to an HSA for 2018 anytime before April 15th, 2019.

However, if the HSA is held by your employer, they could have restrictions, and you would need to ask your employer about that.

Otherwise, you could open a HSA at many other financial institutions, and contribute to that account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

Assuming the COBRA insurance qualifies to contribute to an HSA, you can contribute to an HSA for 2018 anytime before April 15th, 2019.

However, if the HSA is held by your employer, they could have restrictions, and you would need to ask your employer about that.

Otherwise, you could open a HSA at many other financial institutions, and contribute to that account.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v