• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axup
Level 2

I have a 2017 1099-SA for $132. I had an HSA in 2016. I was using up my leftover HSA funds in 2017. Do I need to claim this on my 2017 taxes or can I safely ignore it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I have a 2017 1099-SA for $132. I had an HSA in 2016. I was using up my leftover HSA funds in 2017. Do I need to claim this on my 2017 taxes or can I safely ignore it?

You are allowed to use money from an HSA for qualified medical expenses even if you are not eligible to make new contributions. If you don't report the withdrawal and check the box that says you used it for qualified expenses, the IRS will assume that it was non-qualified and will send you a bill for additional tax plus a penalty. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

You are allowed to use money from an HSA for qualified medical expenses even if you are not eligible to make new contributions. If you don't report the withdrawal and check the box that says you used it for qualified expenses, the IRS will assume that it was non-qualified and will send you a bill for additional tax plus a penalty. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v