• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blakesp2

I have 9100 in childcare expense. 5000 of that paid for from a dependent care FSA. Why can't I claim the additional 4100 @ x% on the child care credit?

This years turbo tax has been very wonky.  I've had to reset forms multiple times to get the calculation to come out right.  I am entering 9100 in for expenses, but turbotax keeps putting in 5000 for expenses in the calculation sheet.  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

I have 9100 in childcare expense. 5000 of that paid for from a dependent care FSA. Why can't I claim the additional 4100 @ x% on the child care credit?

TurboTax is doing it correctly (assuming you only have one child under age 12).

The Child Care Credit is allowed for the first $3000 of daycare expenses.  You already received $5000 worth of tax-benefits (the FSA), so that 'uses up' the $3000 and nothing is left for the Child Care Credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

TurboTax is doing it correctly (assuming you only have one child under age 12).

The Child Care Credit is allowed for the first $3000 of daycare expenses.  You already received $5000 worth of tax-benefits (the FSA), so that 'uses up' the $3000 and nothing is left for the Child Care Credit.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v