toolmandan55

I had prostate surgery and I have to buy (out of pocket) Depends, wipes,and pads for about 6 to 12 months can I wright that off?

I had prostate surgery and I have to buy (out of pocket) Depends, wipes,and pads. Can I wright that off?

Texas Roger

Over the counter medical supplies are not deductible as a medical expense. Even if they were, you could only deduct the amount of total medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI and then only if those itemized deductions plus all other itemized deductions were more than the standard deduction for your filing status. Standard deductions have doubled from what they were in 2017 so many filers who previously itemized deductions will be better off taking the standard deduction. 

Texas Roger