horton2myla

I had a HDHP/HSA for all of 2016 but I signed up for only Medicare Part A in November, how do I report that in the HSA section

According to IRS guidelines if you pick up Medicare you cannot have an HSA even if it is only Part A. I maintained my HDHP plan and picked up Medicare Part A in November not knowing about the guideline. That implies I put too much into the HSA. I have gone back to my employer to refund minus any taxes the over payment but in the meantime I don't know how to complete the HSA section of the tax return.
PaulaM

Navigate back to the section:

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type 'HSA' in the box, then select GO

Continue with the interview until reaching the page, Did you have Medicare at any time in 2016? Select Yes and continue to enter which months you had Medicare on the next page. 

You can contribute to the HSA for the months that you had an HDHP (before the medicare selection in November). Calculate the Max Contribution Limit and refund the excess to your employer.

See attachment and link below.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969/ar02.html#en_US_2015_publink1000204020