momosa53

I had a cobra plan all of 2106 that I paid 7,591.20 for do i get to use this as a deduction

Health care insurance premiums and other medical expenses that you paid with out of pocket funds are an eligible medical expense that you can deduct using Schedule A for itemized deductions.  However, only your total medical expenses that are greater than 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be deducted if you are under age 65.  If you are age 65 or older the AGI limit is 7.5%.  Your total itemized deductions reported on Form 1040 Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2016 

• Single - $6,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $6,300 add $1,250 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $12,600 add $1,250 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $9,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older

To enter your medical expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Medical Expenses, click the start or update button

Or enter medical expenses, sch a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to medical expenses, sch a

Standard deductions for 2016 

To enter your medical expenses -

• Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Medical