bfellows122001

I got a new job in a different state and i had to pay for all my moving cost, are these moving cost tax deductible for me?

DaveF1006

Because of the of the Tax Cuts and jobs Act  moving expenses are no longer tax deductible on the federal return unless you are in the military. You may be able to deduct moving expenses on your state return however. You can report your moving expenses in your federal return and if your state does allow moving expenses, the information will flow to your state return either as a deduction or adjustment to income from your federal return. 

Please select this link on where to record your moving expenses.

bfellows122001

Thank you for responding, unfortunately I moved to a state that doesn’t have a state income tax. Unless I’m able to claim the moving expenses on my other W-2 from the state that has state income tax?

ColeenD3

Probably not, but it depends on the state. Usually, a state will only allow the deduction if you move into the state. Check your new state's Department of Revenue to be sure.