turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a Home Equity Loan on 12/19/2017. The money was disbursed on 12/26/2017. What do I need to file on this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I got a Home Equity Loan on 12/19/2017. The money was disbursed on 12/26/2017. What do I need to file on this?

Given that it was at the end of the year, you probably did not pay any interest, but if you did you can deduct that under the deductions and credits.  Also, if you paid any points associated with the loan those are deductible.  

Fees paid in connection with obtaining the loan (attorney fees, appraisal, survey, etc.) are  not tax deductible.

Here is some information for next year:

In general, interest paid on equity loans is tax deductible, but the amount of deductible interest is subject to IRS requirements for home equity loans and qualified homes.

The IRS defines a home equity loan as a loan secured by "a qualified home in which you have an ownership interest" that was not taken to buy or build or improve a home.  When you take out a home equity loan, your interest payments may qualify for a deduction in addition to your mortgage interest. To qualify, you must have obtained the loan after Oct 13, 1987 and it must also be secured by your home.  For tax purposes, only the balance of the loan that is the smaller of $100,000 or your equity in the home qualifies for the interest deduction. 

For example: a married couple owns a home with a fair market value of $300,000. Their first mortgage balance is $230,000. Based on fair market value, the IRS would allow an interest deduction on home equity financing of $70,000 or less. ($300,000FMV - $230,000 outstanding mortgage = $70,000 equity)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

Given that it was at the end of the year, you probably did not pay any interest, but if you did you can deduct that under the deductions and credits.  Also, if you paid any points associated with the loan those are deductible.  

Fees paid in connection with obtaining the loan (attorney fees, appraisal, survey, etc.) are  not tax deductible.

Here is some information for next year:

In general, interest paid on equity loans is tax deductible, but the amount of deductible interest is subject to IRS requirements for home equity loans and qualified homes.

The IRS defines a home equity loan as a loan secured by "a qualified home in which you have an ownership interest" that was not taken to buy or build or improve a home.  When you take out a home equity loan, your interest payments may qualify for a deduction in addition to your mortgage interest. To qualify, you must have obtained the loan after Oct 13, 1987 and it must also be secured by your home.  For tax purposes, only the balance of the loan that is the smaller of $100,000 or your equity in the home qualifies for the interest deduction. 

For example: a married couple owns a home with a fair market value of $300,000. Their first mortgage balance is $230,000. Based on fair market value, the IRS would allow an interest deduction on home equity financing of $70,000 or less. ($300,000FMV - $230,000 outstanding mortgage = $70,000 equity)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies