turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I file federal taxes for selling cakes i made at home for parties during 2016, around $2000, do i have to file state? Why yes or why not?

I file federal taxes for selling cakes i made at home for parties during 2016, around $2000, do i have to file state? Why yes or why not?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes and maybe.

Any income reported on your fedearl return must be reported on your state return. 

The states do not necessarily use the same filing threshold as the feds. If the extra $2000 does not get you to the state minimum, you do not need to file. Because of federal self employment tax, it is not uncommon  to have to file a federal return, but not state.

To find your state's filing requirement, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2903200-do-i-need-to-file-a-state-return

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes and maybe.

Any income reported on your fedearl return must be reported on your state return. 

The states do not necessarily use the same filing threshold as the feds. If the extra $2000 does not get you to the state minimum, you do not need to file. Because of federal self employment tax, it is not uncommon  to have to file a federal return, but not state.

To find your state's filing requirement, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2903200-do-i-need-to-file-a-state-return

The link does not give me the chance to check if I need to file state for orlando, Florida. . .  Any information?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Florida does not have an income tax

Oook. So that means I don't need to file state. I appreciate!!! Thank u so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies