turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered my Mortgage Interest Stmt 1098 properly but TurboTax says it needs review. It's a loan taken out in 2019 so Box 2 is blank. Should I put anything in Box 2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

I entered my Mortgage Interest Stmt 1098 properly but TurboTax says it needs review. It's a loan taken out in 2019 so Box 2 is blank. Should I put anything in Box 2?

TurboTax tells you that it needs review, select the button to review it.

It will prompt you to enter the amount of the loan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But TurboTax says, "outstanding mortgage principal as of 1/1/2019." The loan didn't exist on 1/1/2019, I took it out in June 2019. 

Even under the "Learn More" tab, it literally says, "If you took out the loan after 1/1/2019, then leave this field blank"

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

For Box 2 put $0 in the box and that resolves the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hurray! This resolved the issue for me.  They specifically say "leave this field blank" if you originated the loan after Jan 1, 2019, but what they should have said "enter $0 in this field" instead. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies