turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered my 1098 Mortgage Interest paid ($5693) where indicated on the Turbo Tax forms. After filing, I saw that TurboTax had entered $10,931 on SchA. Why? More below.

I entered my 1098 Mortgage Interest paid ($5693) where indicated on the Turbo Tax forms. Near the end of my filing while reviewing, I noticed that for the deductions for Mortgage Interest, my 2017 amount was in the $5000 range (just like I entered for 2018), but now for 2018 the number was showing as $10,000. I thought, "that's weird," and clicked on "Edit." But once in Edit mode it showed that I had indeed correctly reported my 1098 number of $5,693. So I didn't know where the $10,000 number was coming from (it was not exactly double, either). We do rent out one room in our house (8% of the property), so I answered all those questions as applicable in that section...are these connected? But we rented out the room in 2017 and it did not affect the mortgage interest total for Schedule A that year. I have no idea where Turbo Tax is getting this $10,000 number and it concerns me that this is the number that "I" am reporting on my 1040 Schedule A when in fact "I" entered my mortgage interest as $5,693 as reported on my 1098.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I entered my 1098 Mortgage Interest paid ($5693) where indicated on the Turbo Tax forms. After filing, I saw that TurboTax had entered $10,931 on SchA. Why? More below.

It sounds like you entered the interest on your schedule E (rental) AND as a 1098. The program is picking up the 5693 you entered on the 1098 screen and also carries over 92% (5238) from the Schedule E. The interest should only be entered once. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies