Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hailadjuster
Returning Member

I donated 50 Shares of stock to a church but the transaction is not on the tax information statement from the payer

There  is a long term capital gain on this stock.   do I need to report it?

1 Reply
MichaelL1
Level 15

I donated 50 Shares of stock to a church but the transaction is not on the tax information statement from the payer

You do not report the sale of the stock.  This is a great tax benefit to you.  You get to deduct the Fair Market Value of the gift of the stock at the time the gift was made.  

If its value has increased over time, it’s better to donate the stock. If you’ve owned the stock for more than a year, you get to take the current value as a charitable deduction if you itemize and you don’t have to pay tax on the appreciation (you’d owe capital-gains tax on the profit if you sold the stock first and then wrote a check). 

Take a look at this link for a detailed explanation and look at the section titled Benefits: 

https://www.mystockoptions.com/faq/index.cfm/catID/5A5E2B2B-07F0-4E14-9C1C838BB003BE7E/objectID/D943...

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v