turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I didnt receive the full stimulus money earlier this year. I claim 1 child age 11. I got 1200. Did not get the 500. I plug the info in for this year it says I got max?

I don’t see that specific form. When I go in to amend it, I filled everything back out and it’s the same. I went to the earned income and it’s 2048 and the child tax credit is 500. But I can’t find that form on the taxes I printed to tell you what amount is on that line

I didnt receive the full stimulus money earlier this year. I claim 1 child age 11. I got 1200. Did not get the 500. I plug the info in for this year it says I got max?

500 is on 13a

I deleted him and readied him and poof there is all the money missing. You are absolutely amazing!!!!! So I have to amend last years taxes too?

Re-added

so for 2019, it's a problem because you only got credit for $500 as a tax credit.  Depending on your income that could be higher once switched to the child tax credit of up to $2000. 

I would suggest figuring out what the problem is with your son's entry on the 2020 return because that could trigger the reason 2019 was not correct.  Plus, you don't want to submit 2020 incorrect because the amendment wait time is probably still 6 months or longer! Let's get 2020 right!!!!

things to check closely:

1. his birth year
  2. social security number entered
  3. lived with you at least 6 months
  4. THE CHILD did NOT provide more than 50% of his support 
  5. US citizen (or resident alien)
  6. be careful how you answer the questions about your son's father.... the questions get tricky and maybe that is where the problem lies.... did you divorce between 2018 and 2019 so that the entries were changes freom 2019 from 2018??????? or did you use TT in 2019 but not in 2018?   

I am assuming your son lives with you more than half the year for both 2019 and 2020 

So the difference between 2018 and 2019 is I claimed my 17 year old. He had the far right box checked. Then in 2019 I only had the one boy who was 10. I think there was a glitch in the system because he moved up but kept my older sons box that was checked. 
I have 2020 right, now so when I am allowed to file everything will be good. 
I went to amend my 2019 taxes and just by deleted and re-adding him, that threw a bunch of money in my refund box. So look like I do need to amend it. 

I marked your response as best answer and then it went to there was a solution to my problem but I wasn’t done talking to you lol

perfect - that is what I would expect - more $$$$ for 2019.... because of COVID, I keep seeing that the IRS is WAY behind processing amendments. so stay patient, but go get your $$$$!  

while it doesn't matter now, the reason you probably didn't get the $500 on the stimulus check for your 10 year old last spring is that 2019 had that error on it... and if the 2nd stimulus check shows up, the $600 will be missing for him as well for the same reason. 

Yep that’s exactly what I’m seeing that’s happening when I go back and refill the info out with the tool for both checks. I am not getting a second stimulus check but it’s on the adjustment. I finished the paperwork for the amended return and that’s about 1500 extra. Thank you so much for helping me with this. Of everything I read and tried to figure out YOU were the only one that had the answer. I think from now on I will delete and re-add my son just so this does not happen again.  Thank you again

great that we found the problem and found you $1500 to boot beyond that! 

You didn't mention 'why' you are so confident you are not getting the 2nd stimulus check, but there is a lot of internet traffic on the Intuit and SBTPG websites about fixes to payments and many could flow next week.

Suggest not being in a rush to file; the IRS is not opening the file window until late January in any event and that 2nd stimulus check could still show up, but as we both concluded, it'll probably be for $600 only.

GREAT JOB!!!! 

The irs website says there is an error when i put my info in. So I just figured I’d be one of the lucky ones that didn’t get it too 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies