pghmacy

I cannot enter the dependant care credit for my disabled spouse. how do i enter it?

Leonard

With TurboTax Deluxe open enter Dependent Care Benefits in the search box and click on Jump to Dependent Care Benefits in the results box.

Follow the program prompts to enter your dependent care information.

pagerart

I use Home and Business and the program won't allow the credit for my disabled wife because it says I have no qualifying dependents.  How do you get the program to include a disabled spouse?

Are you paying someone to take care of your spouse while you work?  That is what the child and dependent care credit is for.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900643-what-is-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-is-a-qualifying-person-for-the-chi...

Did you indicate in My Info that your spouse is disabled?

pagerart

Where does it ask? In the credit section under tell us more I marked her as disabled. Never had this problem in prior years.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time 7 days per week through October 25, 2019.

TonyZuka

I am using Deluxe and have the same issue.  I am filing married joint; and say YES to Dependent Care; list that my spouse is disabled; disabled for 12 months; Did not work while disabled; then t asked "whose care did you pay for".  The drop down lists my spouse's name.  I select it and hit continue.  I then tells me I haven't entered any qualified dependents.

JosephF8

To fix this Go Back to My Info

• Select Edit next to your spouse
  • Go through the questions until you can indicate disabled
  • Go back to Deductions and Credits
  • Update next to Child and Dependent Care Credit
  • First page should have checkbox for disabled checked
  • Spouse's name should be in the drop down menu
  • Indicate that your spouse is incapable of self-care

Expenses should now be accepted

TonyZuka

On Personal info, it only asks if she was legally blind, passed away, or if someone else can claim her - it does not ask if she was disabled.  I listed her occupation as Disabled.  I went to the form, and checked retired and permanently disable.  But under Dependent Care, it still indicates I haven't entered any qualified dependents.  Uner the help tab, it says that a disabled spouse is not a dependent; you can still use the credit but must complete the information for your spouse as a nondependent.

TonyZuka

I went into forms and entered my spouse as a non-dependent, and now the dependent credit works.

ColeenD3

As you enter the Child and Dependent Care screen, you will encounter the screens below. You may have been denied the Child Tax Credit as it appeared first when I went through the program.

If you paid for care for your child, dependent, or disabled spouse while you worked or went to school, you may get a nice tax break.

• Check any that applied to Michael in 2019

• Enter the number of months in 2019 that Michael was incapable of self-care.

ColeenD3

You spouse is neither a dependent nor a non-dependent. You are married filing joint and are equals on the tax return.

@TonyZuka That is a program bug and has been reported to the TurboTax Moderators about an hour ago.   Hopefully it will be corrected by the next software release.

ColeenD3

I just went through the program, doing exactly as I described in the steps above and got the credit.

Again:

#3905393

If you paid for care for your child, dependent, or disabled spouse while you worked or went to school, you may get a nice tax break.

• Enter the number of months in 2019 that Michael was incapable of self-care.