Here is how to enter a foreign address in TurboTax:
How do I enter a foreign address in TurboTax?
- Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return.
- Select My Info from the left menu.
- On the Personal info summary page, select Edit next to Taxpayer.
- Go to 2. Tell us the state(s) you lived in and select Foreign or U.S Possession from the drop down list (it's all the way at the bottom).
- Select the Continue button at the bottom.
- Select Edit next to Mailing Address and choose Foreign country from Type of mailing address drop down list.
- Input your address in the appropriate fields, select your country from the drop down list, and select Continue.
You can file federal (IRS) returns if you or your employer has a non-U.S. address. However, there are some restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:
- IRS regulations require a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund, and you'll need a U.S. bank account (or credit/debit card with a U.S. billing address) if paying additional federal taxes owed.
- Like many stateside merchants, we require a U.S. billing address to pay for TurboTax if using a credit or debit card.
- If you're deducting fees from your refund with the optional Pay With My Refund service, you'll need a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
- Free products like TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Easy Extension require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address upon registration.
Some states also let you e-file with non-U.S. addresses. We'll let you know if your state supports this.
thank you but I know how to put in a foreign address and that’s what I did, the issue is now that I need to file it still gives me an error even though none of the fields are empty. The error still says “oops, missing some of your personal information like state and city”. It’s keeping me from filing, everything else is done.
I hope this helps with your filing roadblock...Depending on which state you most recently lived in before your move, you may need to file a non-resident state income tax return even if you are living abroad. ...