turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can see Turbotax correctly recorded medical expenses of $14120. None was reimbursed. Turbotax entered Medical Expenses of $4646 (Sched A line 1). Why the difference?

I cannot find a reason for this unless there is a limitation on deductions other than the threshold 7.5%? Is this a software error? I can't find any other explanation...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I can see Turbotax correctly recorded medical expenses of $14120. None was reimbursed. Turbotax entered Medical Expenses of $4646 (Sched A line 1). Why the difference?

we can't see your return. and I can find no reason for this to occur unless either you entered something incorrectly somewhere else or it's a TT bug. contact support.

5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

Is your adjusted gross income on the Form 1040 Line 11 about $126,320? 

If so, that would explain why only $4,646 was entered as a medical expense on Schedule A since 7.5% of $126,320 is $9,474 and $14,120 - $9474 = $4,646

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you sure you are looking at line 1 on Schedule A,  not line 4?

Where exactly do you see the total of $14,120? Is it on a screen in TurboTax, or on an actual form or worksheet? If it's on a TurboTax screen, what screen? If it's on a form, what form and line number?

Does your total medical expenses of $14,120 include insurance premiums? Did you claim the self-employed health insurance deduction (Schedule 1 line 16)? If so, any insurance premiums that you used for the self-employed health insurance deduction would not be included in Schedule A line 1. Does Schedule A line 1 plus Schedule 1 line 16 equal $14,120?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies