turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can not get my tax’s done by 10/15/18 (tax deadline) because of hurricane Michael what can I do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I can not get my tax’s done by 10/15/18 (tax deadline) because of hurricane Michael what can I do.

Any penalties are a percentage of the amount you owe, so if you expect a refund, just file whenever you can.  

If you owe tax, and you have an approved extension to October 15, the IRS is granting an extension to February to taxpayers in a hurricane area.  The extension is automatic and is based on your address, there is no form to fill out.  However, an extension of the deadline to file is not an extension of the deadline to pay, and if you expect to owe tax, you should pay as much as you can now to reduce the later penalties and interest.  You can make an electronic payment at www.irs.gov/paymemts, select 2017 form 1040 as the reason.  See here for more https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-extends-oct-15-and-other-upcoming-deadlines-provides-expanded-tax-r...

If you don't already have an extension, you are just going to be late and the hurricane does not provide a new extension.

Turbotax Online will close around October 20, so if you want to file later with Turbotax, you will need to download and install Turbotax on your own Mac or PC from Intuit or a reliable third party retailer.  E-filing will also close so you can expect to print your return and mail it in.

1) IF you have started a tax file, log into your account and download your .tax2017 data file to your home computer...and make a backup copy of it too...

2) Then, when ready to finish it, Buy and download the 2017 software, install it and then finish it off later.

Make sure you buy the correct year......Right now it's here if you buy it now:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

.....but sometime ion Nov-Dec they will move the 2017 software to the "Previous" year section:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

3) you will have to print and mail-file it when you are ready....no late e-fiing after Monday the 15th

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies